I watched the movie ‘Chocolat’ again a couple of days ago and I just could not help but wonder about how chocolate can keep us healthy. I've been thinking whether this notion is just another old belief that persists in the present because of the fact that chocolate is delicious. Anyway, I did my research and I came across an article. I don’t know if this serves as proof or evidence, but here is one of the examples of chocolate's benefits that the article cites:
The people of the island Kuna in Panama rarely have high blood pressure but they drink around five cups of cocoa a day. If they leave the island, they have the blood pressure of average urban dwellers and, correcting for eating a modern diet, the loss of the cocoa drinking seems to be the difference. A study took volunteers who ate the usual modern diet and gave them 100g of chocolate for 15 days and their blood pressure was lowered. The chocolate also seemed to improve the body's ability to metabolize sugar.And I did find some healthy facts about chocolate:
- …almost the same as aspirin which prevents clotting or sticking together of our platelets.
- …can be used as an anti-depressant because it contains phenylethlamines.
- …contains flavanol, an anti-oxidant.
- …has four times anti-oxidants compared to tea
- …helps improve our memory through allowing more blood flow to our brains.