AS I was listing my choices for the coming senatorial and local elections, I felt a sense of hopelessness. There are only two people on my list:
- a very old man who should have retired but felt that no one can fill in his shoes yet; and
- someone who dared not to be proclaimed by presidents he previously asked to resign (nevertheless, if he is not married to a megastar he would not have that "principle."
All the rest wereÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ enough to make me feel that I should start joining the queue to Canada, Australia, New Zealand or wherever. Among "senatoriables" there are turncoats on all sides, people with no principles, no platforms, and no political parties.
(From INQUIRER podcast interview: OK, since I'm a lawyer, and I know the basic structure of our government. I'm running for senator, that's the legislative branch. The case of Estrada belongs to the judicial branch, and there is a wall of separation between the two branches. Then, well as an aspiring senator I should not comment cases pending before courts. I will let the justices of the Sandiganbayan... objectively and impartially decide the case of president Joseph Estrada. But since, on a personal note, since Erap is my wedding sponsor, ninong ko, I wish him all the best, and my wish is for him to be acquitted.)
- We have bright young lawyers who talk too much but work too little (if they did their homework, they could have impeached GMA)ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have returning political veterans who never achieved anything substantial other than spark EDSA Dos by blocking the opening of the second envelopeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have children and relatives of heroesÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ but we all have heroes' blood in all of usÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have millionaires who swindled banks, depositors and house buyers to accumulate wealth (sipag at tyagaÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ at maraming pagbalimbing)ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have populistsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ they do not understand a single word they are harking (ever thought about the consequences of abolishing VAT or not paying our national debt)ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have local government officials who came from provinces that are not known for their progress or unparalleled developmentÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have political neophytes with no clear understanding of the legislative processÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have glorious men in uniform whose greatness was shot down because of women in their lives (one was asked by his mother to stop a mutiny, the other was caught in his female friend's house)ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have action stars who brawl on national TV and it is not part of a movie or a showÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦
- We have a dumb bar topnotcher who disgraces two universities with his un-common sense