UPDATE: Finally, the details are out. It is indeed a $100-million bout scheduled on Dec. 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Read the rest of the story from the Sports section. Excerpt:
Barring last-minute hitches, Oscar De La Hoya, boxing’s box office superstar in the past decade, will take on Manny Pacquiao, boxing’s hottest commodity today, in what promises to be a $100-million welterweight bout on Dec. 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. This was confirmed to the Philippine Daily Inquirer Thursday by Franklin “Jeng” Gacal Jr., Pacquiao’s legal counsel, who said in General Santos City that “both parties agreed (to the fight) and were satisfied.”MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao is set to fight Oscar De La Hoya in December, sources quoted by Associated Press and ESPN.com said. The supposed negotiation between Pacquiao and Dela Hoya’s camp has ended with both agreeing to fight on December 6, the reports said. Fan website Pacland has linked to various stories that indicate that the stage is set for the fight, as both reportedly agreed to split the $100 million purse from the fight, sources quoted by AP indicated. This match will be in the welterweight division, which means Pacquiao needs to add more pounds to reach 147 pounds, while Dela Hoya has to slim down to hit the required weight. De La Hoya had a split-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year, while Pacquiao has become the first Filipino to win four world titles in different weight divisions, including the recent WBC world lightweight against David Diaz. ESPN.com sources said De La Hoya is set to announce the bout Thursday. You can also catch more news and videos and about Pacquiao in Pacquiao Files.