It was a quick fight that stunned everyone. The fight ended early as Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao knocks out Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton twice in the first round, and later permanently in the second round. British fans were left stunned, including the parents of the Briton fighter who flew all the way from Manchester to watch the fight, when Hatton kisses the floor. We saw the fight at the Mag.net cafe in High Street in Fort Bonifacio, courtesy of Nike Philippines. A large screen was set up and everyone were seated in little, comfortable plastic chairs. Iced tea was served and some pasta. But since we were too excited to see the fight, we hurriedly finished our meal and got ready to watch and live blog the event. (Good thing there was wi-fi). The crowd started trickling in at around 10 a.m. Some people clapped as Pacquiao was introduced. But as the round began, every punch that landed on Hatton came with grunts from the crowd, followed by loud cheers. People stood and cheered, some for Hatton, mostly for Pacquiao. Then came the right hook that sent Hatton to the floor. He was wobbly. He was obviously stunned. Meanwhile, the crowd at Mag.net was getting louder. Everybody stood as the Briton fighter went down twice in the first round. Second round came. It was a short battle. Amid the flurry of punches, Pacquiao was able to sneak in a powerful left hook to the jaw of Hatton that floored him permanently. That was the end of the fight. The parents of Hatton were stunned. The Filipino crowd went ecstatic, including those watching from Mag.net in High Street.
Recently in Futsal Category
UPDATE: Various reports posted on Pacland, a website dedicated to Manny Pacquiao, indicates that the fight is on. +++ By Cedelf P. Tupas Philippine Daily Inquirer MANILA, Philippines -- A day after promoters declared the fight has been called off after an impasse over the prize money, Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao has agreed to accept the offer to fight British superstar Ricky Hatton on May 2, a report on philboxing.com said. The report quoting Pacquiao's close friend and confidante Rex "Wakee" Salud said the Filipino idol was convinced when told that he would receive a $12 million guarantee and 52 percent of the pay-per-view shares. Eric Pineda, Pacquiao's business manager, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer that the "other camp has reached out to salvage the fight." Pineda, however, stopped short of confirming that the fight was back on track. "All I can say right now is that there are developments in the negotiations," he said in a telephone interview. Pacquiao had been insisting on a 60-40 deal, even though his promoter, Bob Arum, and Hatton's camp had agreed to an equal split. This did not sit well with Pacquiao, who did not sign the contract before the Wednesday deadline, prompting Arum and Golden Boy Promotions chief Richard Schaefer to announce that the super-fight between the world's top pound-for-pound fighter and the king of the 140-pound division had been called off.
By Agence France-Presse MANILA--A planned May 2 showdown between Britain's Ricky Hatton and Philippines star Manny Pacquiao has been called off after two of the sport's top draws failed to agree on how to split the purse. "Basically, the two camps could not agree on the purse," Pacquiao aide Jeng Gacal told reporters in Manila on Thursday of the reported 24-million-dollar kitty for what had been billed as one of the biggest fights in years. Pacquiao, the WBC lightweight champion considered the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, let a Wednesday night Hatton deadline lapse on the Briton's final offer of a 52-48 split in the Filipino's favour. "Manny did not sign it," Gacal added, confirming earlier reports the mega fight, scheduled to take place in Las Vegas, was off. Pacquiao, who had earlier demanded a 60 percent share of the prize, later lowered it to 55-45. He also made it clear he would even agree to a 52-48 split "for as long as the minimum guaranteed purse is raised," Gacal said. However, "the Hatton camp refused to give in", he said. Richard Schaefer, chief executive for Hatton backers Golden Boy Promotions, told ESPN and the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday that the bout was called off by Hatton after Pacquiao would not sign by the deadline. "The fight is off," Schaefer told ESPN. "We're pursuing our other options. That's it. The Hattons called me and asked again if we had a signed deal from Pacquiao and when I said we didn't, they said they won't sit around anymore." Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, earlier said the Filipino hero wanted more money and a bigger split of the profits. "Manny decided not to sign. He was unhappy with the terms," Arum told ESPN. "The fight is off. The suits can posture but it's the fighters who have to go in the ring and fight. But I am not thrilled right now." The fighters were set to tour from next week to promote the fight. Now Hatton is scrambling to find another opponent to face on May 2. Hatton, 45-1 with 32 knockouts, hopes to fight Oscar de la Hoya, the winner of next month's fight between Juan Diaz and Juan Manuel Marquez or retired star Floyd Mayweather. Such a bout might even be staged at London's Wembley Stadium. A Mayweather-Hatton fight would be a rematch of the 2007 bout in which Mayweather stopped the Englishman in the 10th round at Las Vegas. Mayweather has not fought in the 13 months since and declared himself retired. Four-time world champion Pacquiao, 48-3 with two drawn and 36 knockouts, could still step in and save the fight by agreeing to the deal before another rival was signed, but that wasn't seen as a likely possibility. Arum said Pacquiao's next possible foes include Humberto Soto, but the payday would be far less than a fight with Hatton. Gacal, the Pacquiao aide, said that if no matchup materialises the Filipino star "will concentrate on getting a college degree." He said Pacquiao "deserved due respect" through a bigger share of the purse after the way he effectively sent boxing legend Oscar de la Hoya into retirement in a Las Vegas non-title bout last month. "Hatton does not have Pacquiao's status," Gacal added.
By Cedelf P. Tupas Philippine Daily Inquirer BACOLOD CITY, Philippines—Manny Pacquiao on Saturday rejected a fresh proposal for a 52-48 revenue sharing with British superstar Ricky Hatton in their 140-lb battle in May. And the latest twist in the negotiations could open the door for Floyd Mayweather Jr., whose handlers, Pacquiao disclosed, have been communicating with his camp for a possible match that could lure the former pound-for-pound king out of his retirement. But Pacquiao isn’t about to give up on the Hatton fight just yet. “Kita mo, nagbago din sila (You see, they changed their minds),” Pacquiao said with a laugh as if to stress that he is still the draw in this planned super fight pitting the world’s top pound-for-pound fighter against the king of the junior welterweight division. “Hindi pa din kami magkasundo. Wala pa kaming final decision. Maybe may adjustment pa on their part. (We still haven’t agreed to anything yet. We haven’t made a final decision. There might be adjustments on their part).” He added: “Hindi tayo pwedeng magulangan ng mga dayuhan. (We can’t let these foreigners put one over us.)” Pacquiao, though, wore a sheepish smile when asked if he was amenable to a 55 percent share of the fight and pay-per-view revenues, an idea which was broached by his American trainer Freddie Roach. Pacquiao, who had demanded for a 60-40 sharing, said he is considering his trainer’s proposal during a press conference before the opening of the Smart-Abap National Amateur Boxing Championships here. Pacquiao said a final decision on the fight will be known as early as next week, though his business manager Eric Pineda, in a separate interview, claimed that the Filipino champion has set a deadline for the negotiations on the first week of February. “Maybe Monday, we will have a decision or within next week,” the 30-year-old Pacquiao said. The Hatton camp and Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum had agreed verbally to an equal sharing for the British Hitman and the Filipino idol late last month, after Pacquiao demolished American star Oscar De La Hoya.